Questions and Answers
Paraffin Wax, Parawax, Baker's Wax, or Cooking Wax

  Home    |   Recipe Indexes   |   Dinner Party Menus   |   Food History   |   Diet - Health - Beauty

Baking Corner |  Regional Foods | Cooking Articles Hints & Tips | Culinary Dictionary | Newspaper Columns

Follow What's Cooking America on Facebook


I have a question about cooking wax. I need some for a recipe. I have searched several local grocery stores, with no luck. I have found "household wax" used for canning and sealing, but I assume these are two different compounds and are not interchangeable.


Paraffin Wax, Parowax, Baker's Wax, or Cooking Wax - It is classified as a chemical preservative, is widely used on fruits, vegetables, and candy to make them shiny and pretty and to retard moisture loss and spoilage. Paraffin is still commonly used to seal home-canned jellies and jams.

You can find paraffin wax in your grocery store where canning jars and supplies are sold.


Contact Linda Stradley - By Google

What's Cooking America© copyright 2004 by Linda Stradley - United States Copyright TX 5-900-517- All rights reserved. - Privacy Policy