Gazpacho Soup with Avocado Creme Fraiche is so easy to make and so delicious! This classic Andalusian soup is best served the day it is prepared, but can hold in the refrigerator for an additional day. A must make soup when you can obtain fresh vine-ripened tomatoes. Also make a great appetizer course served in small bowls. I sure wish summer tomatoes would last all year! This spicy soup packs a nutritious punch from the vegetables while skimping on calories.
For more great Low Fat Recipes, Low Calorie Recipes, Low Carbohydrate recipes, and Diabetic Recipes, check out my Diet Recipe Index. Also check out my Nutritional Chart for fat grams, fiber grams, and calories for all your favorite foods.
- 3 large tomatoes, vine-ripened, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped*
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1/2 orange or yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, finely minced
- 2 cups vegetable cocktail juice
- 1 cup chicken stock or vegetable broth
- 1 cup Homemade Tomato Salsa or other prepared mild tomato salsa
- 3 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons basil leaves, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt or to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 lime wedges
- Black pepper, coarsely ground
In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, vegetable cocktail juice, vegetable or chicken broth, tomato salsa, wine vinegar, and olive oil. Add Worcestershire sauce, basil, salt, and garlic; stir until blended. Remove about half of the soup to a blender jar and blend until smooth. Combine with the remaining soup.
Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight before serving. NOTE: Soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Taste for final seasoning and adjust before serving.
Prepare Avocado Creme Fraiche (see instructions below). Store, covered, in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
To Serve Gazpacho Soup: Using a large red wine glasses, parfait glasses, or deep soup cups, pour approximately 6 to 8 ounces of chilled gazpacho soup into each glass. Spoon a dollop of Avocado Creme Fraiche centered in the soup. Garnish with a lime wedge and ground black pepper.
Makes 8 servings.
In a small bowl, place avocado pulp. Using a fork, mash the avocado pulp until smooth and there are no visible lumps. Add creme fraiche or sour cream, lime juice, sugar, and salt; fold together.
Refrigerate for a least one hour, covered, or until thick.