Desserts are always a great ending to a meal, and simple desserts are the key when camping. I don’t have any set recipes for making caramel apples, as they are very simple to make. Just be creative and experiment!
The following Baked Caramel Apple recipe and photos are by Eileen Troemel of Janesville, Wisconsin (near Madison). Check out Eileen’s very interesting and informative article on Dutch Oven Camp Cooking.
More great Cast-Iron Cooking Recipes.
Dutch Oven Baked Caramel Apples:
(2) Place the cored apples in a small pie pan or baking pan. NOTE: Cleaning is much easier by using the small pie pan inside of the Dutch Oven.
Pack the core holes of each apple approximately 1/3 full of brown sugar. Place a large chunk of butter on top of the brown sugar. NOTE: If you want to add additional toppings, add them at this point. For the final step, top with additional brown sugar.
Place 3 to 4 small chunks of butter in the center of the baking pan and then top with some brown sugar (this creates a caramel sauce as the apples bake).
(3) Prepare your fire using either charcoal coals or wood. Eileen is using the charcoal coal method for her Dutch Oven Camp Cooking. Check out Eileen’s article on Dutch Oven Camp Cooking for information and instructions on Dutch Oven cooking.
(4) Fire pit with coal – using backyard fire pit to cook on.
(6) Placing cast iron Dutch oven on hot coals. Shift coals around the oven. Heat the Dutch oven over the hot coals or wood.
(7) When the cast iron Dutch oven is hot (hold hand over the oven to see if it is hot). You are now ready to bake.
(8) Place the baking pan with the prepared apples inside of the warm Dutch Oven and place on top of the hot coals.
(9) Place the hot lid on top of the Dutch Oven and add some hot coals on the top of the lid. Bake for approximately 20 minutes until the apples are soft and the brown sugar and butter have melted into a caramel sauce.
(10) When the apples are done, remove from heat and serve warm.
NOTE: For an extra-special treat, top the warm baked apples with chocolate and whipped cream.
Categories:Apples Camping Cast-Iron Cooking Recipes Dessert Recipes Dutch oven cooking Fall Vegetarian Recipe Index