Foods | Cooking
Hints & Tips
This recipe was shared with me by Peggy Bucholz and her
Fine Dining web site. These appetizers
are small phyllo squares filled with herbs, cheese and salmon lox.
Check out Linda's
Salmon Recipes and
Appetizer Recipes for more great appetizer ideas.
Herbed Phyllo Purses with Brie Cheese and Salmon Lox Recipe
Yields: 9 servings
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 30 min
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
4 or 5 cloves minced
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Coarse salt or sea
8 green onion stems
Brie Cheese, cut into small pieces
smoked salmon lox
Phyllo (Fillo) Pastry Sheets
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Dijon mustard for garnish
In a large skillet, melt butter; sauté mushrooms, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper until all the liquid is evaporated. Remove from heat, set aside
and let cool.
Place the 8 green onion stems in boiling water, drain and place in ice water. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
Butter a large baking sheet.
Prepare Phyllo Purses:
- Place one (1) Phyllo sheet on work surface (keep remainder covered with slightly damp towel). Brush Phyllo lightly with melted butter.
- Top with 2nd Phyllo sheet. Brush lightly with butter. Top
with 3rd Phyllo sheet. Brush with butter.
- Cut stacked, buttered Phyllo lengthwise into three (3) equal strips. Then cut crosswise into
three (3) 5 x 5-inch
squares equal strips.
- Divide cooled mushroom mixture among the 9 Phyllo squares. Do the same with the Brie
cheese and smoked salmon lox.
- Gather all four corners of the Phyllo together over the center and gently crimp and form each one into purses. Transfer to the buttered baking sheet.
Brush tops lightly with butter. Repeat with remaining pastry.
These can be made the day before, covered and refrigerated.
Bake at 350° degrees F. for approximately 5 to 7 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
Remove from oven and let cool.
Tie chive stems around each herbed phyllo purse with a
single knot being careful they do not tear. Place a wide strip of Dijon mustard on each serving plate, then draw wavy lines through it for an interesting design. Place the baked purse on the plate and serve.
Makes 9 servings.