Grilled Vegetable Tomato Bread Salad is a savory bread pudding using only fresh top-quality vegetables that are in season. Serve this delicious bread salad as a side dish for chicken or fish at your next outdoor summer party and see the delight of joy in everyone’s face.
I always try to eat what is in season and try to eat lots of fruits and veggies everyday. This was the first time I have grilled some of the ingredients going into this salad – it was easy to do and they turned out so awesome and so pretty! Vegetables cook quickly and are so delicious with just a hint of the smoke. What is also great about this recipe, is that you can grill the vegetables earlier in the day and then assemble the bread salad when you are ready to serve. What could be easier?
This delicious Grilled Vegetable Tomato Bread Salad recipe and photos were shared with my by Karen Calanchini, Food Stylist and Photographer, of Redding, CA.
More wonderful Salads and Salad Dressing Recipes.
- Olive oil for vegetables
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely-chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil (good and fruity), extra-virgin
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh-squeezed
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- Coarse salt or sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cucumber (Armenian or English), seeds spooned out and cit into bite-size chunks
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram leaves, pulled from stems and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded, cored, and cut in half
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, cored and cut in half
- 1/2 of a sourdough baguette, cut into 1-inch thick slices
Prepare your charcoal or gas grill for cooking. Brush the grill with olive oil.
In a small container with a lid, whisk together the garlic, 1/4 cup olive oil, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, Champagne vinegar, salt, and pepper; set aside.
In a large salad or serving bowl, place the prepared cucumbers, tomatoes, basil, marjoram, and capers; sprinkle with a little salt and set aside.
Prepare you barbecue grill. When your grill is hot, brush onion slices, red and yellow bell peppers, and bread slices with olive oil on both sides. Grill each for 4 minutes, and then turn and grill another 4 minutes. NOTE: Watch the bread closely to be sure it does not burn - you want nice grill marks. Remove the grilled vegetables and bread from the grill and place on a cutting board.
Separate onion into rings, cut bell peppers into bite-size pieces, and also cut the toasted bread into bite-size pieces.
Add the vegetables and bread to the prepared tomato mixture and toss with the prepared vinaigrette mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste and serve.
NOTE: This salad can be prepared in the morning, but be sure to place the toasted bread on top of the grilled vegetables. Cover and refrigerate. Remove from refrigerator approximately 30 minutes prior to serving to let come almost to room temperature. Toss with the vinaigrette and serve.
Makes 1 large salad.