Orzo Chicken Soup with Rosemary and Lemon make the house smells absolutely wonderful as it cooks and fills the house with the most amazing aroma. This chicken soup is pure comfort in a bowl to serve anytime – summer or winter. This soup is quick and easy to make, plus it will be a big hit with your family. A nutritious and healthy mean in just 30 minutes. Nothing makes a family happier than a bowl of this fantastic chicken soup.
This wonderful chicken soup recipe and photos was shared with my by Karen Calanchini, Food Stylist and Photographer, of Redding, CA.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra-virgin
- 2 stalks celery with leaves, diced
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 1/2 medium-sized onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, dried
- 1 to 2 teaspoons rosemary leaves, fresh, chopped
- 7 cups chicken stock or broth (homemade or a good-quality store bought chicken stock)*
- 1 cup dry white wine (I use dry vermouth)
- 1/2 cup Greek Orzo pasta**
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked, shredded***
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- Coarse salt or sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
In a Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-low heat, add olive oil and heat. Add celery, shallot, onion, garlic, saffron, thyme, and rosemary; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften.
Add the chicken stock and wine and bring just to a boil; add the orzo pasta and reduce heat to low; stir and simmer approximately 9 minutes until the orzo is cooked to al dente.
Add the corn and shredded chicken; stir and heat until heated through.
Just prior to serving, add the chopped parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste.
Makes 5 to 6 servings.
* Learn how easy it is to make your own homemade chicken stock/broth.
** It is a pasta shaped like grains of rice.
*** If using frozen chicken breasts, cook the chicken in 4 cups of the chicken stock, adding a bay leaf if desired. This enriches the stock and adds flavor to the chicken.