Spicy Bread Salad with Cashews Recipe or Panzanella Salad, is great served with Portuguese Braised Beef Shanks.
What is a Panzanella Salad – It is a Tuscan Bread Salad always contains day old, crusty bread and tomatoes as the main ingredients. Other ingredients may be added as desired. This Spicy Bread Salad Recipe is especially delicious when fresh tomatoes are in season.
This delicious Spicy Bread Salad recipe, comments, and photo were shared with my by Karen Calanchini, Food Stylist and Photographer, of Redding, CA.
More wonderful Salads and Salad Dressing Recipes.
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) olive oil, extra-virgin, divided
- 1/2 of a sourdough baguette, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot curry blend
- Coarse salt or sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 ribs celery hearts with leaves, sliced
- 1/2 cup canned garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 1/2 ounces Emmentaler cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup cashew nuts, lightly-salted
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes and yellow pear tomatoes (or any combination of tomatoes you desire)
- 1/8 cup (2 teaspoons) champagne vinegar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil, bread pieces, garlic, cumin, and curry; toss until well mixed. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter the bread mixture on a baking sheet and bake until toasted (toss once to insure even toasting). Remove from oven and let cool.
In a serving bowl, add the celery, garbanzo beans, Emmentaler cheese, cashews, tomatoes, and toasted bread.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and the champagne vinegar; mix well.
Add the dressing mixture to the bread mixture; tossing well to combine. Let the salad sit for 1 hour, and then taste, season with additional salt and pepper if needed. Adjust any of the seasonings to your taste.
Serve and enjoy!