This healthy and colorful Zesty Chicken Pasta with Peppers is very fresh tasting and great for your Fall harvest of garden peppers and tomatoes. This pasta dish is easy to make and perfect for a family get together.
Zesty Chicken Pasta with Peppers recipe, comments, and photos were shared with me by Karen Calanchini, Food Stylist and Photographer, of Redding, CA.
- 1 pound (16 ounces) fettuccine pasta
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless), cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 teaspoons seasoned salt, Cajun spice mix, or any zesty seasoning mix of your choice, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 green pepper (such as Anaheim chile pepper or green bell pepper), seeded and sliced
- 1 whole red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 whole orange bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 large red onion, cut in half and sliced
- 4 to 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups chicken stock (homemade or a good store-bought chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup white wine (I used dry Vermouth)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- Parsley or sweet basil, chopped, to taste
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pan to keep warm. Learn How To Cook Pasta Properly.
Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1 1/2 teaspoons spicy seasoning and toss to coat.
In a large heavy frying pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter; let melt. Add the seasoned chicken pieces and saute until golden on both sides. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter to the hot frying pan. Add peppers and onion; sautslightly. Sprinkle the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of seasonings over the peppers. Cook, stirring gently, for 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic slices and sautuntil the garlic is fragrant and peppers begin to soften. NOTE: You want the pepper to have some crispness. Remove the cooked vegetables from the frying pan and set aside on a plate.
In the same frying pan, increase heat to high. Pour in the wine and chicken broth, scraping bottom of the pan to remove any browned bits. Reduce heat to medium-low. Pour in the cream, whisking constantly until the cream starts to thicken the mixture. Taste and add salt and pepper, if needed, and cayenne pepper.
Add the chicken pieces, vegetables, and any accumulated juices to the sauce. Stir and cook for approximately 2 minutes until the mixture is hot. Add the drained fettuccine pasta and toss to combine.
To serve, top with either fresh chopped parsley or sweet basil. Serve with your favorite hot sauce on the side.