Shaved Artichoke and Parmesan Salad can be served as a first course, or served with cold lamb, beef, or seafood. In this recipe, your are using the hearts of the artichoke only. I slightly adapted this recipe from the New York Cookbook by Molly O’Neill.
For more great Low Fat Recipes, Low Calorie Recipes, Low Carbohydrate recipes, and Diabetic Recipes, check out my Diet Recipe Index. Also check out my Nutritional Chart for fat grams, fiber grams, and calories for all your favorite foods.
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, minced
- 1 wedge (4 ounces, not grated) Parmesan Cheese (Parmigiano-Reggiano), top quality
- 4 large fresh artichokes, uncooked*
- Additional fresh mint leaves (for garnish)
In a glass or ceramic bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice with the salt and pepper. Whisking vigorously, drizzle in the olive oil to make a vinaigrette. Add the minced mint; set aside.
Using a cheese planer/slicer or vegetable peeler, slice the Parmesan cheese into wafer-thin sheets; set aside.
Peel off the outer leave to reveal the underneath.
Trim off the tough outer layer of the stem and any brown spots. Cut the tip of the choke off. With a teaspoon, carefully scoop out and remove the hairy chokes (be careful not to scoop out the firm heart).
Cut each artichoke heart crosswise into thin slices. Toss immediately with the remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice so that the artichokes do not discolor.
Add the prepared Lemon-Mint Vinaigrette to the prepared artichokes and toss gently.
Divide the salad among 4 chilled salad plates. Place the Parmesan slices on top and garnish with additional mint leaves or black pepper. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Each Serving Totals - 19.4 Fat Grams, 6.1 Carb Grams, 310 calories
* Check out How to purchase, store, prepare, cook, and eat artichokes (with photos). Make sure the artichokes are very fresh ones.