Pureed Potato & Cheddar Cheese Soup is so satisfying and delicious. It is so incredibly easy to make and so delicious! This Pureed Potato and Cheddar Cheese Soup is an excellent stick-to-your-ribs cold weather food to serve your family. Using cottage cheese, instead of cream, reduces the calories in the potato soup. You are sure to make this potato soup over and over!
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock*
- 4 medium-size Russet potatoes, peeled and quatered
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1 small dried chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill weed, dried and crushed
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, bring vegetable or chicken broth, potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, cayenne pepper or chile pepper, and dill weed to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer approximately 20 to 30 minutes until potatoes are tender when pierced. Remove from heat and let cool 10 to 15 minutes.
In a food processor or a blender, add potato mixture (do this in two to three batches); whirl until smooth. When I am putting something hot. like soup, in a blender, I only fill it about half to 2/3 full because it will expand as it purees Also when blending hot soup, blend on the lowest possible setting. In the final batch, add cottage cheese and blend until it is totally smooth..
Return to soup pot; add milk, cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until heated. Remove from heat.
Serve in soup bowls.
Makes 4 servings.
* Learn how easy it is to make your own homemade Chicken Stock - Basic Chicken Stock.