This delicious Red Cabbage Salad with Bacon and Goat Cheese makes a great side dish. The flavor is so delicious with the bacon and goat cheese! This is definitely not a low calorie salad!
More of Linda’s delicious Salad and Salad Dressing Recipes.
- 1 small head red cabbage (about 1 pound)*
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled**
- 5 1/2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup reserved bacon drippings
- 1/2 cup olive oil, extra-virgin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Remove core from the cabbage Thinly slice and then chop the up the remaining cabbage. Place in a large bowl.
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, fry or oven-bake bacon until crisp; drain and add to cabbage. Reserve 1/4 cup of the bacon drippings for the dressing.
Add goat cheese to cabbage and toss well.
Prepare Warm Bacon Dressing. Pour warm Bacon Dressing (as much as needed to coat the cabbage) over the cabbage, toss well and serve immediately.
Make 6 servings.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the reserved bacon drippings, olive oil, garlic, pepper, and wine vinegar; heat until hot. Remove from heat and use immediately.
* Red cabbage is also known as purple cabbage. The leaves are colored a dark red/purple. When purchasing, choose red cabbage that feels heavy and is bright and has crisp leaves. Avoid any that have puffy leaves or that outer layers have already been removed.
** Learn how easy it is to make Oven-Baked Bacon. This is the way to get perfect crisp bacon without having to constantly turn it, watch over it, or get burnt by splatters of grease. Cooking bacon can be a real challenge as frying bacon is a mess and microwaving has inconsistent results.
Categories:Bacon Recipes Cabbage Recipes Goat Cheese, Chevre Cheese- Feta Cheese & Ricotta Cheese Salad & Salad Dressing Recipes