Root Beer Barbecue Sauce has a nice sweet and tangy flavor that makes a great sauce for pork or chicken recipes on the barbecue grill.
In this picture, I enjoyed this Root Beer Barbecue Sauce on some baby back ribs that made for a lip smackin’ barbecue dinner! This barbecue sauce is the perfect addition to any summer cookout. It is simple to make and very inexpensive to make with loads of flavor. So, skip the store-brought sauce and make you own. Your family and friends will love it!
More great Pork Recipes and also Pork Ribs/Sparerib Tips.
Check out Linda’s Butters, Condiments, Sauces, Relish and Jelly Recipes for more great sauce ideas.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1 cup Ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 cup Root Beer soda pop*
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh-squeezed
- 1/4 cup orange juice (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika, smoked
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon Chipotle Chile Powder (optional)**
- Salt to taste
In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, add olive oil (tilting sauce pan until bottom is coated with oil). Add onion and garlic and sauté for a couple minutes until onions are translucent.
Add the brown sugar, ketchup, ginger, Root Beer, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, orange juice, vinegar, smoked paprika, and honey. tir together until combined. Bring just to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes (stirring occasionally). Onions should be soft.
Taste the sauce and add salt to taste.
If you would like the sauce a little sweeter, add 1 teaspoon of brown sugar at a time. If you prefer a spicier heat, then add 1/4 teaspoon of Chipotle Chile Powder at a time until spicy taste reaches your preference.
Store any unused barbecue sauce in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
* The common version of root beer that we know today is not an alcoholic beverage, but a sweet soda pop that can be enjoyed by all ages. Root beer is almost exclusively a North American drink. Can use any brand of Root Beer that you prefer.
Photo from Soda Emporium
** If you prefer a spicier sauce, then add the Chipotle Chile Powder.