Cherry Bon Bon Cookies are so good that you will think you are eating candy! You will definitely want to add these delicious Cherry Bon Bon cookies to your Christmas baking list. I slightly adapted this wonderful Cherry Bon Bon Cookie recipe from the famous Betty Crocker Cook Book of 1950s.
According to the cookbook:
Bon Bon Cookies are described as “fascinating, beautiful, and delicious. They are full of surprises inside and out. As easy as 1-2-3.”
- 1 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar (granulated)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cherry flavoring (optional)
- 48 fresh sweet cherries, pitted*
- 1 (6-ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small bowl, combine flour and cocoa; set aside.
In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, and baking powder until blended. Add egg, vanilla extract, and cherry flavoring; beat until well combined. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 1/2-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
Press down center of each ball with thumb to create a small hollow; fill each center with a cherry; set aside.
In small pan over low heat, combine chocolate chips and condensed milk; heat until chocolate is melted.
Spoon about 1 teaspoon chocolate mixture over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until done. Remove to wire cooling racks and cool.
* If you cannot get fresh cherries, well-drained maraschino cherries may be substituted.
Source: Original recipe and photo from the Northwest Cherry Growers.