Do not let a strawberry season go by without making this beautiful and delicious Strawberry Custard Tart. This Strawberry Tart is so simple to make and so beautiful to look at with the lovely fresh strawberries.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter, cut into tablespoon-size slices
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 quart large ripe whole strawberries, hulled strawberries (if necessary to wash them, do so very quickly, and drain on rack)
- Pinch of lemon zest (rind), freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam or red currant jelly (or use jam or jelly of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons water
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a food processor, combine flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and baking powder. Pulse once or twice. Add butter by tablespoons and process until butter is incorporated and mixture is reduced to small crumbs (it will not form a ball).
Pour crumb mixture into a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Press crumbs gently over the bottom and half-way up sides of pan, approximately 1/8-inch thick. Do not pack mixture down too firmly. Bake for 10 minutes.
While crust is baking, combine egg yolks, sour cream, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon zest.
Remove from oven, let cool, and then refrigerator until serving time.
When ready to serve, arrange whole strawberries on top of the custard. Lightly brush the strawberries with the Fruit Glaze.
To serve, lift the tart from the side of the pan and place on a serving dish or cake plate.
In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the jelly and water until syrupy. Remove from heat and let cool.