Watermelon Gazpacho recipe creates a delicious sweet-and-savory chilled soup that is perfect as a first course or appetizer on a hot summer evening with family or friends. The delicate flavors of cucumber and watermelon is so very refreshing and makes a great start to any summer meal.
This gazpacho is similar to the classic Spanish-style tomato gazpacho, but uses watermelon as the main ingredient.
- 8 cups seedless watermelon, finely diced (about 6 pounds without the rind)
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and finely diced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons green onions or shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra-virgin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl.
Puree another 3 cups of watermelon mixture and add to the bowl. Stir in the remaining diced mixture.
Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Makes 6 servings (generous 1 cup each).
Source: This recipe is from Eating Well Magazine. Photo by Ken Burris.