Cucumber Sauce or Greek Tzatziki Sauce is an addictive sauce that is healthy, cool, and creamy cucumber-yogurt sauce that is usually served on Greek Gyro Sandwiches. Also popular served with pita bread, in gyros, with cut-up vegetables, on lamb, or with whatever else you like! Karen like to serve this sauce with her Greek Chicken with Cucumber Sauce and Orzo Salad.
This delicious Cucumber Sauce recipe and photo were shared with my by Karen Calanchini, Food Stylist and Photographer, of Redding, CA.
More delicious Butters, Condiments, Sauces, Relish and Jelly Recipes for more great cooking ideas.
- 1/2 of an English cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 clove garlic, diced or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Black pepper, freshly-ground, to taste
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1/8 cup sour cream, non-fat
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly-squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon dill, fresh, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon Greek seasoning
A box grater or a plank grater can be used for grating the cucumber. On a board or a plate, hold the grater firmly with one hand and rub the peeled cucumber up and down on the medium-sized holes of the grater. Set aside.
In a bowl, combine garlic, salt, pepper, yogurt, sour cream, lemon juice, rice vinegar, dill, and Greek seasoning. Adjust seasonings to your taste.
Add the shredded cucumber to the prepared sauce; cover and place into refrigerator for several hours or overnight before serving.