Ensalada De Colores
This colorful salad delivers a wonderful punch of flavor. The salad can be made a day ahead and chilled to serve the next day. We love it at room temperature. It is also great served with a Rack of Lamb. In summer, there will be fresh corn and garden tomatoes. In the winter months, I used frozen sweet baby corn kernels and heirloom cherry tomatoes of different colors.
This very refreshing Vegetable Salad recipe, comments, and photos were shared with my by Karen Calanchini, Food Stylist and Photographer, of Redding, CA.
- 1/4 cup fruity olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1/4 cup lime juice from fresh limes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1 1/2 cups rice, cooked in chicken broth and cooled*
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jalapeno chile pepper (green or red), seeded, pith removed, and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup corn kernels, raw, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely-chopped
- Coarse salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh lime wedges and avocado slices (for garnish)
In a large bowl, add olive oil, lime juice, cumin and oregano; whisk until well blended.
Add the rice, black beans, jalapeno chile pepper, corn, tomatoes, parsley, cilantro, red onion, salt, and pepper. Mix well and adjust seasonings if needed.
Place in refrigerator until ready to serve. When ready to serve, either serve chilled or let come to room temperature (your choice).
Garnish with avocado and fresh lime wedges.
Categories:Chile Peppers Corn Dried and Canned Bean Recipes Rice & Grain Salads Southwest Salads Tomatoes Vegan Recipes