Marinated Bean Salad is a staple at our house in the summer. Also great to serve for a quick lunch or as a side to a light sandwich. Also makes a great potluck or picnic dish that holds up well as it keeps for quite a long time.
This very easy-to-make Marinated Bean Salad recipe, comments, and photo were shared with me by Karen Calanchini, Food Stylist and Photographer, of Redding, CA.
- 1 (8-ounce) can whole green beans (Del Monte Blue Lake) or 8 ounces fresh green beans*
- 1 (8-ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (8-ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 bunch green onion (white and green parts), sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar, granulated
- 2/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, freshly-ground
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
Place the canned beans (green beans, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans) into a colander and lightly rinse with cold water; let drain.
Place drained beans in a large bowl. Add onions, sugar, rice vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, stirring to combine.
Marinate in refrigerator overnight, stirring occasionally. Toss again before serving.
Substitutions or Additions Ideas: In season, yellow wax beans are pretty to add. I have added Great Northern Beans. Red onion may be used in place of green onions. Fresh garlic also gives zip.
* When fresh green beans are available, use those. Drop into boiling water and simmer for seven minutes, drain and put into ice water to stop further cooking.