Slow Cooker – Crock Pot Recipe
Vegan Creamy Potato-Garlic Soup is a satisfying meal. You do not have to be a vegan to enjoy this soup as it is absolutely delicious! My family loves potato soup so I created this vegan version for my granddaughter, Tabitha, who is vegan. It was fun taking on the challenge to make something that Tabitha could eat and the rest of the family would also love. I also enjoyed spending time cooking it with her. Tabitha added the final touch of the herbs and spices to the soup to make it just right.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, olive oil, or coconut oil (your choice)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (32-ounce) container vegetable stock or broth
- 5 pounds (approximately 4 to 5) large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups soy milk, coconut milk, or rice milk (amount of milk can vary according to how thick you want your soup)
- 4 ounces vegan cream cheese
- Black pepper, freshly-ground to taste
- Coarse salt or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle pepper, or to taste (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground (optional)
- Vegan sour cream
- Scallions (green onions), diced
- Vegan cheese
- Vegan bacon bits
In a large frying pan over medium-low heat, heat vegetable oil (or oil of your choice). Add onions and garlic; saute approximately 4 to 5 minutes, until onions are soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, bring vegetable broth, potatoes, and onion and garlic mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer approximately 20 to 30 minutes until potatoes are tender when pierced. Remove from heat and let cool 10 to 15 minutes.
In a food processor or a blender, add potato mixture (do this in two to three batches); whirl until smooth. Either return to the soup pot and place in your slow cooker (crock pot); add milk, cream cheese, salt, pepper, rosemary, and cloves. Cook and stir until heated.
At this point, soup may be refrigerated until ready to serve. When ready to serve, warm over low heat, stirring until hot.
Remove from heat. Serve in soup bowls. Garnish with vegan sour cream, diced green onions, and some vegan cheese and bacon bits if desired.
Makes 6 to 8 servings (approximately 10 cups).
Categories:Healthy Recipe Index (Low fat, Low Calorie, Low Carb) Potatoes Slow Cooker Soup Recipes Slow Cooker Vegetables Vegan Recipes Vegetable Soups