This very unusual Dill Pickle Soup tastes fantastic! It always surprises my guests when they discover that it has dill pickles in it. Excellent for a dinner party to give your meal a spectacular start. I have used this wonderful soup in several of my dinner party menus.
This Dill Pickle soup is so addictive! Give this soup a try and see and taste what I am talking about.
Please check out my Grilled Peppery Pinot Noir Tenderloin dinner menu and Pork Loin with Pumpkin Sage Bread Pudding dinner menu which include this fantastic Dill Pickle Soup.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup white onion, finely-chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour (all-purpose)
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups dill pickle juice (from the pickle jar)
- 2 teaspoons dill weed, dried and crushed
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipping cream, or milk
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1 large dill pickle, cut julienne
Add water and pickle juice, whisking or stirring into onion mixture. Bring just to a slow boil, stirring constantly, until soup just slightly thickens.
Add dill weed. Stir in whipping cream or milk; season with salt and white pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
Serve in individual soup bowls and garnish with julienne dill pickles.
Makes 6 servings.
Source: I slightly adapted the original recipe by Chef Otto of Portland, Oregon.