Shrimp Cheese Spread is my mother’s, Dorothy Hagerman, favorite appetizer dish to bring to our Christmas Eve celebration every year. This dish makes a perfect holiday spread that is so easy to make and tastes so good. It is thick and creamy, and full of clean shrimpy flavor. Crackers and celery sticks become fabulous when dipped in this spread. This is also excellent as a sandwich spread.
If you keep some frozen shrimp in your freezer, you will be ready for that special occasion when you need a last minute appetizer to serve your family and/or friends. This Shrimp Cheese Spread can be made up to 3 days in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Do not forget to check out my Holiday Open House Menu which includes this popular and delicious Shrimp Spread.
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese (regular, low fat, and/or non fat cream cheese), room temperature
- 6 ounces small shrimp, cooked*
- 1 (6-ounce) can black olives, drained and chopped
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice, freshly-squeezed, to taste**
- 3 small green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
- Assorted crackers
In a large bowl, mash cream cheese with a fork. Add shrimp, blackolives, salt, lemon juice, and green onions; stir until well blended. With your hands, form cheese mixture into a large ball.
Cheese Ball - In a small bowl, combine nuts and parsley; roll cheese ball in nut mixture to coat completely. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with assorted crackers.
Cheese Spread - Add chopped nuts and parsley to the cream cheese mixture; stir until combined.
Yields 1 large cheese ball or approximately 1 1/2 cups spread.
* If using larger shrimp, cut into small pieces. If using frozen shrimp, defrost them by placing in a bowl of ice water. If using canned shrimp, please drain them.
** If making a spread, use up to 3 tablespoons lemon juice.