This is a very popular Doritos Taco Salad that is garnished with Doritos tortilla chips. I also like to add corn and avocados to make a good thing even better! This Taco Salad is served at many potlucks and picnics. It usually goes fast, so load up your plate as it is very addicting taco salad!
This recipe can easily be varied to your family’s taste. My daughter says, “If you have little picky eaters, add in onions and tomatoes after the kids have been served. They loved this salad with the Doritos mixed in!”
More of Linda’s wonderful Salad and Salad Dressing Recipes, Fresh, Dried, and Canned Bean Recipes.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 package Taco Seasoning Mix
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh-squeezed
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded*
- 4 Roma tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 small bag of frozen corn
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, finely shredded
- Catalina Salad Dressing or dressing of your choice
- 1/2 bag of Nacho Cheese Flavored Doritos, crushed
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef or turkey. Remove from heat and drain off any fat and discard. Stir in the Taco Seasoning Mix and set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, gently toss the diced avocado with the lemon juice to prevent browning; set aside.
In a large bowl, toss together the onion, kidney beans, cheese, tomatoes, corn, lettuce, and cooled ground meat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve. When ready to serve, add the avocados and crushed Doritos chips to the salad greens. Toss the salad with the Catalina Salad Dressing (or dressing of your choice). NOTE: Go light on the dressing, as a little goes a long way. Adding the ingredients too soon will cause your salad to go soggy!
* You can substitute with a variety of different cheeses, such as hot pepper cheese, or Monterery Jack cheese.
Categories:Salad & Salad Dressing Recipes Southwest Beef Recipes Southwest Salads Sports - Tailgating Turkey