Mango Lassi is a traditional South Asian non-alcoholic beverage that is a cross between a smoothie and a milk shake and is smooth, creamy, and absolutely heavenly! The is one of the most popular beverages in Northern India. You will probably find the beverage at your favorite Indian restaurants.
In case you are not near South Asia, or an Indian restaurant, we have brought this delicious drink recipe to you. You will find that it is such a refreshing drink to have on a hot summer day.
If you like the Mango Lassi and want to drink them often, you can cut calories and fat by choosing low-fat or fat-free yogurt when you make them.
- 1/4 cups plain yogurt (low-fat)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh-squeezed
- 1/2 cup mango pulp, fresh*
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar or honey (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 9 to 10 standard-size ice cubes
If using a fresh mango, peel and remove the flesh from the pit; cut mango into small pieces. Also reserve and use all the juices.
In a blender, add yogurt, lemon juice, mango pulp, water, and honey or sugar. Blend approximately 2 to 3 minutes or until you see a little forming in the mixture. Add the ice and blend until frothy! NOTE: Some people like to pour the mango mixture over ice cubes instead of blending the ice cubes in the drink.
The Mango Lassi can be kept refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
Pour into glasses and enjoy!
Makes 2 servings.
* When choosing a mango, pick one that is plump and heavy for its size. Most importantly, the mango should be fragrant when held near your nose. Canned or frozen mango may be substituted. If using sweetened mango, reduce the amount of sugar used. Allow frozen mango to thaw approximately 30 minutes before using.
Categories:Asian-Inspired Recipes Mango Recipes Milkshakes Smoothie