This Ham and Apple Strata recipe is a perfect make-ahead meal because it must be refrigerated for at least 6 hours. Just pop it in the oven about an hour before you want to serve it. A strata is basically a savory bread pudding made with slices of bread soaked in a custard and baked until set and puffy. It is the perfect brunch dish to serve your family and friends. The layers of breakfast staples make this dish a winner! It is so good that you will definitely get raves!
Learn all about Eggs and how to cook them, and for more great brunch ideas, check out my Brunch Recipes.
Make-Ahead Holiday Brunch Menu (with recipes) which includes this delicious Ham and Apple Strata.
- 3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- Sugar and ground cinnamon to cover apple slices
- 6 slices whole wheat bread (crush cut-off)
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 1/4 cups half & half cream (can substitute part non-fat milk)
- 1 1/2 cups ham, cut up
- 8 eggs
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. In a large bowl combine sliced apples with sugar and cinnamon.
Spread one side of bread with butter. Arrange buttered slices in single layer in prepared baking dish. Layer 1/2 Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses, ham pieces, and sugared apple slices. Top with the remaining 1/2 Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses.
In a medium bowl, combine eggs, half & half, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour mixture over the cheese. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 50 to 60 minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Categories:Apples Cheese Egg Recipes Ham Recipes Stratas and Frittatas