Zesty Orange Pecan Apple Crisp recipe is sure to please your family on those cool and crisp Fall days. Fall is perfect time of year, as it is apple season, for making your family this delicious apple dessert. It is a wonderful time of year for cooking with apples, and especially enjoying this delicious Apple Crisp recipe. The taste of apples and lemons baked together is delicious.
This delicious recipe, comments, and photos were shared with my by Karen Calanchini, Food Stylist and Photographer, of Redding, CA.
More great Apple Recipes. Also learn about the History and Legends of Apples.
- 1 cup flour, unbleached or all-purpose
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, granulated
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 cup butter, unsalted, cold
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup pecans, coarsley-chopped
- 3 pounds tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced 1/4-inch thick*
- 1/2 cup sugar, granulated
- 2 tablespoons orange zest (peel), finely-grated
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, fresh-squeezed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flour, all-purpose
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Position oven rack to center of the oven. Lightly butter a 9x9x2-inch baking dish.
Prepare Pecan Topping and set aside.
Prepare Apple Filling. Transfer the Apple Filling mixture into the prepared baking dish. Using a wooden spoon, lightly press down to compact the Apple Filling into an even layer.
Sprinkle the Pecan Topping evenly over the top of the Apple Filling. NOTE: When cooked, the Pecan Topping will produce a nice thick and crispy topping.
Bake approximately 55 to 60 minutes until the topping is golden brown and the juices are bubbling around the edges. Apples should be soft when pierced with a fork or the tip of a knife. Check the cooking progress of the Apple Crisp after 45 minutes to judge your remaining baking time. When done, remove from oven and transfer to a cooling rack for 20 to 30 minutes before serving.
The Apple Crisp may be served warm or at room temperature with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (if desired).
In a food processor, pulse the flour and oats until the oats are finely ground.
Add the brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt; pulse until combined.
Add butter and almond extract and pulse in short bursts until the mixture just starts to form crumbs and sticks together when you press it between your fingers.
Add pecan and pulse just to blend as you do not want the nuts to be cut up into smaller pieces. Set aside.
In a large bowl, add the apples, sugar, orange zest, orange juice, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; gently toss until well combined.
* Gala, Pippin, Braeburn, Cortland, Jonagold, Granny Smith, and Winesap apples are all good to use alone or a combination of them.