Sombrero Stuffed Artichokes – a “South of the Border” artichoke treat with a little spice. Sombrero Stuffed Artichokes are a delicious and low calorie dish that is sure to please everyone you serve it to.
Be prepared to give a little coaching on how to eat stuffed artichokes. Just pick off each leaf and scrape the base of it with your teeth. It is both proper and polite to pluck the leaves with your fingers, leaving fork and knife aside. This you will get a taste of stuffing and the little fleshy bit from the bottom of the leaf. Once you work your way through the outer leaves you will get to the more tender and more edible inner leaves. Keep going and you will get to the artichoke bottom filled with the remainder of the stuffing. Use a knife and fork for this part. Enjoy your Sombrero Stuffed Artichokes!
For more great Low Fat Recipes, Low Calorie Recipes, Low Carbohydrate recipes, and Diabetic Recipes, check out my Diet Recipe Index. Also check out my Nutritional Chart for fat grams, fiber grams, and calories for all your favorite foods.
More great Artichoke Recipes.
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons parsley leaves, freshly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- 4 large artichokes, cooked, choke removed, and chilled*
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce or to taste
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Lettuce, shredded
- Onion, chopped
Wash artichokes under cold, running water. Pull off lower petals. Check how to purchase, store, and prepare artichokes (with photos).
In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add onion, garlic, and ground beef; saute until beef is brown. Reduce heat to low. Add tomato sauce, parsley, chili powder, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and hot pepper sauce; simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
Gently spread center leaves of cooked and chilled artichokes. Spread the outer leaves apart, pull out the petals covering the choke, and use a teaspoon to scrape out the choke. The artichoke cup can now be stuffed.
Spoon the Sombrero beef mixture into each artichoke center. To serve garnish with desired toppings and Diablo Dip.
Makes 4 servings.
In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, lemon juice, garlic, pepper, and hot pepper sauce.
Yields 1 cup.
* How To Purchase Artichokes: If the artichoke feels heavy for its size and squeaks when squeezed, you have found a fresh artichoke. Select globes that are deep green, with a tight leaf formation, and those that feel heavy for their size. A good test of freshness is to press the leaves against each other which should produce a squeaking sound. Browning of the tips can indicate age, but can also indicate frost damage.
Categories:Artichoke Healthy Recipe Collection (Low fat, Low Calorie, Low Carb) Southwest Beef Recipes