Children and Adult Friendly Broccoli
Herb Broccoli and Cheese Bites are a delicious and tasty way to serve and eat healthy broccoli. They make a quick and easy appetizer to serve your family and friends. These can be served as a side dish or appetizer. I like to serve them with Marinara Sauce, but a Lemon Aioli Mayonnaise would also be wonderful, as well.
This child friendly dish is a great way to get your children to eat broccoli so your children can learn to enjoy the taste of different foods. This make a great after-school snack or bag lunch recipe. Even adults who say that do not like Broccoli will love these patties. This is a keeper!
This delicious broccoli dish recipe, comments, and photos were shared with me by Karen Calanchini, Food Stylist and Photographer, of Redding, CA.
- 1 to 1-1/2 pounds broccoli, fresh*
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely-ground
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 cup Garlic Pepper Jack cheese or Herb Pepper Jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup (4 ounces) almond meal (also known as almond flour)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Parmesan cheese or Romani cheese, for sprinkling onto the bites
- Marinara Sauce (either homemade or use a good store brand)
Wash the broccoli. Cut off the tough part of the stock and discard. Chop the florets (I ran mine through the food processor which made for a nice consistency). Leave the tender, small parts of the stocks.
Place chopped broccoli into a microwave-safe bowl and cover with a safe plate or lid. Microwave for 5 minutes; stirring midway. If necessary, drain off any accumulated water and discard.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, garlic powder, tarragon, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Add the grated cheese and almond meal. Mix everything together well.
Using your hands, form 18 to 20 patties into round balls or use a 1 1/2-inch scoop to scoop out the mixture and drop onto a parchment-lined sheet pan sprayed with olive oil cooking spray.
Heat a large frying pan with 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Using a metal spatula, put broccoli balls into the pan (do not crowd or let them touch each other). Cook until bottom side is golden and then turn, cooking until that side is also golden brown; then return to the sheet pan. Cook the remaining balls.
When finished cooking, sprinkle the tops with Parmesan or Romano cheese.
Turn your oven to broil. Place the sheet pan under the hot broiler just until the cheese bubbles and melts. Watch closely and this happens fast.
Makes 2 servings.
* Broccoli is available all year, with a peak season from October through April. Select a bunch that is dark green with tightly closed flowerets. The stalks should be firm, without leggy branches. The buds should be tightly closed and the leaves crisp. Also the stronger broccoli smells, the older it is. Refrigerate, unwashed, in a plastic bag, for up to four days.
Categories:Broccoli Gluten free Other Cheeses: Cheddar, Gruyere, Fontina, Monterey Jack, Gouda, Manchero, Queso Cheese, etc. Vegetarian Appetizers Vegetarian Recipe Index
Comments and Reviews
Leave a Reply