I created this Tuna Salad Sandwich when wanting to fix something different for lunch. I have also stuffed this tuna salad into a garden-ripened tomato. It was delicious!
For more great Low Fat Recipes, Low Calorie Recipes, Low Carbohydrate recipes, and Diabetic Recipes, check out my Diet Recipe Index. Also check out my Nutritional Chart for fat grams, fiber grams, and calories for all your favorite foods.
- 2 (6-ounce) cans solid white tuna, drained well*
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, minced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon capers, drained and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro leaves or basil leaves, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, extra-virgin
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (reduced-fat)
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar (good-quality)
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco Sauce or to taste
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, break up tuna into flakes. Add red bell pepper, red onion, garlic, capers, and cilantro or basil leaves; mix together. Blend in olive oil, lime juice, mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar, Tabasco, tomatoes, salt, and pepper.
Refrigerate at least 1 hour to let flavors blend.
When ready to use, remove from refrigerator. Spread either on bread or stuff in a large tomato.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
* When purchasing tuna, purchase the best grade, which is the "albacore white" tuna.