Canyon Ranch Asparagus Guacamole is so unusual and so good. An extremely popular zero fat and low calorie guacamole recipe. This recipe will be an immediate favorite with all your family and friends who are watching their calories. The recipe is described in the book as: “We have served this asparagus guacamole at Canyon Ranch since the day we opened and it has always been extremely popular with our guests.”
Serve this delicious guacamole with Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips for your next fiesta.
Check out my Nutritional Chart for fat grams, fiber grams, and calories for all your favorite foods.
- 2 cups (approximately 1 pound) asparagus, chopped and lightly steamed*
- 2 1/4 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly-squeezed
- 3 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly-ground
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- Dash Tabasco sauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream, light
In a blender or food processor, combine asparagus, lemon juice, onion, tomato, salt, chili powder, cumin, pepper, garlic, Tabasco, and sour cream; blend until smooth.
Transfer the guacamole to a bowl. Cover tightly and refrigerate several hours or overnight before serving for flavors to blend.
Makes 3 cups or 12 (1/4-cup) servings.
* If you are using frozen asparagus spears, it is not necessary to steam them (just thaw them to room temperature). You may also substitute canned asparagus.
Comments from readers:
I just wanted to tell you that I just made this recipe for asparagus guacamole and it is to-die-for good! I also added some cilantro and left out the Tabasco. I took it to my Slow Food group’s pot luck and people raved about it. I saw some people go get it FOUR TIMES! That is a winning recipe in my book. Thank you for making it available on line – it has much more in it than I have seen in other recipes of the same name and I am sure that is why it is so good! – Peggy Hamilton