Olive and Walnut Spread makes a delicious topping for bruschetta, crostini, pasta, rice, potatoes, crackers, and/or a dip for for your next party.
- 3/4 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped, divided*
- 2 cups kalamata olives, pitted, finely-chopped
- 1/4 cup walnut oil
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sage leaves, fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano, fresh, chopped
- 3 teaspoons mustard, coarse-grained
- Baguette bread
To toast walnuts, preheat oven to 350 F.
Place walnuts in a single layer in an ungreased shallow pan or rimmed baking sheet. Bake 5 to 10 minutes, stirring once or twice during toasting to aid in even browning, or until they are golden brown. Remove from oven and remove from pan; let cool. The first time you try toasting walnuts, it's better to error on the side of under-toasting than over-toasting.
In the bowl of a blender or food processor, add 1/4 cup walnuts, olives, walnut oil, pepper, garlic, thyme, sage, oregano, and mustard; process until coarsely pureed . Stir in remaining 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.
Serve with sliced baguette bread and enjoy.
* Toasting walnuts will crisp their texture and brings out their rich aroma and taste. Toast whole walnuts before chopping them into smaller pieces.
Source: This wonderful recipe has been provided by the Wellwood Wallace Company, producers of Australian Cold Pressed Walnut Oil.