- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups tart or "pie" cherries, fresh or frozen, pitted and lightly drained (reserve 1 cup juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup nuts (walnut, pecans, or hazelnuts), chopped
- Whipped topping (optional)
- 1 cup cherry juice
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
In a medium-size bowl, combine butter or margarine, egg, sour cherries, almond extract, and nuts: add to flour mixture.
Remove from oven and cut into squares while still warm.
Prepare Cherry Sauce. Serve the Cherry Delight Cake with Hot Cherry Sauce and prepared whipped topping.
In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine cherry juice, cornstarch, sugar, almond extract, and butter or margarine; cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
I get many readers asking what cooking/meat thermometer that I prefer and use in my cooking and baking. I, personally, use the Thermapen Thermometer. Originally designed for professional use, the Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer is used by chefs all over the world. I only endorse a few products, on my web site, that I like and use regularly.
You can learn more or buy yours at: Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer.