If you are looking for healthy meal options, then I have the perfect summer salad for you. Try this Stuffed Tomatoes with Tuna Salad recipe for a nice light and healthy lunch. When the sun is beating down and you just have no energy to cook, you will appreciate this no-cook meal. It is quick to prepare and a great way to enjoy with fresh tomatoes from the garden.
Just walk out to your garden and pick some ripe tomatoes off the vine. This also makes a great salad to serve as a starter for a family dinner. Stuffed tomatoes with tuna salad makes a satisfying low carb meal to enjoy. This meal is also low fat and low in calories. You will find the tuna salad contains crunchy bites of celery to add a nice texture.
This delicious Summertime Salad recipe and photo were shared with my by Karen Calanchini, Food Stylist and Photographer, of Redding, CA. Karen says, “A healthy lunch that is also colorful. Serve with in season fruit slices, and a few of your favorite crackers.”
- 2 medium-size fresh garden tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tuna packed in olive oil, drain off the olive oil and reserve*
- 1/4 cup green onions (scallions), chopped
- 1/4 cup celery heart stalks with leaves, chopped
- Coarse salt or sea salt with freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, (red and yellow), cut into quarters
- Parsley, fresh, chopped (for garnish)
Cut off the stem ends of the two (2) tomatoes. Using a curved grapefruit knife, remove the seeds and some of the flesh surrounding the seeds to make a cavity for the tuna stuffing. Turn the tomatoes upside down over a folded paper towel and let the tomatoes drain while your prepare the tuna filling.
In a large bowl, combine the tuna, reserved olive oil, scallions, celery hearts, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary. Gently fold in the prepared cherry tomatoes.
Divide the tuna filling into the cavity of the prepared tomatoes. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve.
Makes 2 servings.
* Look for a good brand of tuna packed in olive oil. I like Trader Joe's oil-packed tuna or albacore. My very favorite is an Italian produce called AS do MAR Tuna packed in oil.