Chicken Salad with Grapes is so good – very refreshing and light! This chicken salad makes a delicious quick lunch or light dinner. It is also the perfect recipe for any leftover chicken or turkey meat that you might have in your refrigerator. If you are in a hurry, substitute store-bought cooked chicken in the salad. This recipe my sound strange with the addition of grapes, but it is so good that this salad will become a favorite with your family.
It is very hard to give exact measurements of the ingredients used in this Chicken Salad with Grapes recipe, as this is one of those recipes that you can add or subtract to you and your family’s tastes. Be creative!
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and dried (about 2 pounds)*
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped**
- 2 to 3 celery ribs, cut into small pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups red grapes, seedless and halved
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise (light or regular)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- Coarse salt and freshly-ground black pepper
In a large bowl, place the diced chicken. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest and toss to combine. NOTE: This is the secret ingredient in this recipe, as the lemon juice and zest give a refreshing, light taste to the salad. Do not skip this step.
Add the pecans, celery, onion, grapes, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, salt, and pepper; toss together all the ingredients until combined.
Cover and place prepared chicken salad in the refrigerator for about 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend properly.
To serve, either serve as a salad or as a mixture for a sandwich. Makes enough to do both ways.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
* Poached, baked, or barbecued until the center of the chicken is no longer pink and reaches a temperature of 165 degrees F. on your meat thermometer. You could even use leftover turkey.
** You can substitute your favorite nuts.
I get many readers asking what cooking/meat thermometer that I prefer and use in my cooking and baking. I, personally, use the Thermapen Thermometer. Originally designed for professional use, the Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer is used by chefs all over the world. I only endorse a few products, on my web site, that I like and use regularly.
You can learn more or buy yours at: Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer.