Savory Chicken Salad is my “go to chicken salad.” I love the savory taste of the onions and curry combined with the sweet pop of the dried cranberries. This Savory Chicken Salad recipe goes great on a bagel, stuffed in an artichoke, or rolled in a fresh leaf of lettuce.
This is also the perfect recipe for your leftover chicken or turkey meat. Do not forget about using your leftover Thanksgiving turkey. Be creative!
More wonderful Salad and Salad Dressing Recipes and Poultry Recipes.
- 4 cups (about 2 pounds) chicken, cooked and diced*
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped**
- 2 to 3 ribs celery, cut into small pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cranberries, dried**
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup mayonnaise (light or regular)
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 teaspoons dill weed (fresh or dried)
In a large bowl, place the diced cooked chicken.
Add the pecans, celery, green onions, cranberries, mayonnaise, mustard, curry powder, and dill weed; toss together until all the ingredients are combined.
Cover and place prepared chicken salad in the refrigerator for about 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to blend properly.
To serve, either serve as a salad or as a mixture for a sandwich. Makes enough chicken salad to do both ways.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
* Poached, baked, or barbecued until the center of the chicken is no longer pink and reaches a temperature of 165 degrees F. on your meat thermometer. You could even use leftover turkey. This is also a great way to use a purchased supermarket rotisserie chicken.
** You can substitute your favorite nuts.
*** Dried cherries or raisins may be substituted.
I get many readers asking what cooking/meat thermometer that I prefer and use in my cooking and baking. I, personally, use the Thermapen Thermometer. Originally designed for professional use, the Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer is used by chefs all over the world. I only endorse a few products, on my web site, that I like and use regularly.
You can learn more or buy yours at: Super-Fast Thermapen Thermometer.
Categories:Chicken Salad Recipes Chicken Sandwiches Cranberries Lunch