I love this easy-to-make tomato sauce. So – why buy the jarred tomato sauce when you can very simply make your own basic tomato sauce?
Check out Linda’s Butters, Condiments, Sauces, Relish and Jelly Recipes for more great ideas.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, crushed or diced, undrained (no salt or low salt preferred)*
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent. Add the garlic and cook and stir another 2 to 3 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning. Season with salt to taste. Cook until completely heated, approximately another 2 to 3 minutes.
For a smooth sauce, place mixture in your blender or food processor and process until texture that you want.
Makes approximately 3 1/2 cups (enough for 4 to 6 servings).
* Use only top-quality canned tomatoes in this recipe. Using poor quality canned tomatoes can leave an acidic taste in your mouth
Categories:Condiments - Sauces - Butters - Relishes - Jam and Jelly Recipes Tomatoes Vegetarian Recipe Collection