Tea Travels!™… Holiday Pumpkin Soup
Recipe by Ellen Easton ©2020 – All Rights Reserved
Pumpkin Soup is a delicious addition to your holiday meals. Especially great for your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner.
Check out more of Ellen Easton’s Tea Travels™ articles and recipes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk, fat-free*
- 1 1/2 cups canned 100% solid-packed pumpkin (do not use pumpkin pie mix)
- 2 firmly-packed tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground (plus additional for garnish)
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Ginger, ground (optional garnish)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup raw whole walnuts, shelled and toasted (optional garnish)**
In a large saucepan over low heat, heat the olive oil; add the onion and cook approximately 2 minutes. Add chicken broth, LACTAID Fat Free Milk, pumpkin, brown sugar, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, honey, and vanilla extract. Increase heat to medium-high, bring just to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
To puree cooked pumpkin mixture, place a hand held mixer vertically in the saucepan or place soup in a blender/mixer, and pulse a few times until the onion is blended.
The soup may be served hot or cold. To serve cold, place the soup in containers and store in refrigerator for no more than three days, until ready to serve.
Garnish with a sprinkle of ground cinnamon or ground ginger to taste. Add a sprinkle of walnuts, if desired.
* May substitute an equal amount of LACTAID Fat Free Milk.
** To Toast Walnuts: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the walnuts on a cookie sheet. Oven roast walnuts for approximately 15 to 20 minutes until just golden (watch carefully so they don't burn). Remove from oven and let cool. Once the walnuts are cool, smash them into small, fine pieces.
TEA TRAVELS™ – Wishing You Happy TEA TRAVELS!™ Tea is the luxury everyone can afford!™ and Good $ense for $uccess are the trademarked property of Ellen Easton/ RED WAGON PRESS