Did you know that Gruyere cheese has been produced since at least 1115 in the region surrounding the small town of Gruyère, it is still made today in the village cheese factories according to the traditional recipe. This is a cheese so good that countries went to battle over it! Cheese makers in France and Switzerland went to battle for three years over which country made the best Gruyere cheese.
This delicious and very easy-to-make asparagus recipe, comments, and photos are courtesy of Karen Calanchini, Food Stylist and Photographer, of Redding, CA.
Check out How to Select, Store, and Cook Asparagus. More great Asparagus Recipes.
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, tough ends cut off*
- Olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1/2 cup Swiss Gruyere Cheese, grated
- Coarse salt or sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 red chile peppers (such as Serrano or jalapeño chile peppers), chopped
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with non-stick aluminum foil or parchment paper. If using a baking dish, butter or oil the inside of the dish.
Wash the asparagus and snap or cut off the tough ends of the asparagus. Arrange asparagus in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet or in the prepared baking dish.
Sprinkle the asparagus with salt and pepper and then drizzle olive oil over the top. Top with the grated cheese and chopped red chile peppers.
Bake the asparagus in the oven until tender, approximately 10 to 12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the asparagus spears and until the desired tenderness. Asparagus is best when it turns bright green and is still a bit crunchy. Remove from oven and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
* Select bright green asparagus with closed, compact, and firm tips. Also look for cut ends that are not dry. Select asparagus stalks that are about the same thickness so cooking will be uniform. Thickness does not influence quality. If the tips are slightly wilted, freshen them up by soaking them in cold water.
Categories:Asparagus Chile Peppers Other Cheeses: Cheddar, Gruyere, Fontina, Monterey Jack, Gouda, Manchero, Queso Cheese, etc. Side Dishes