Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo are easy and quick to make. They make a delicious burrito that is sure to please your family. I make them for two but you could also make them for a crowd by doubling the recipe and putting into a 9- x 13-dish and warm in the oven. There are times when you just want to spice things up a bit and the crumbled chorizo sausage has just the right spark of heat. The eggs absorb the heat making just the right balance of flavors.
Also check out Karen’s fantastic Beef and Bean Burritos with Hatch Chiles.
This delicious Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo recipe, comments, and photo were shared with me by Karen Calanchini, Food Stylist and Photographer, of Redding, CA.
- 2 cooking Chorizo Sausage links*
- 3 tablespoons red onions, diced
- 2 Hatch Chile Peppers (or chile peppers of your choice) blackened, skinned, seeded, and chopped*
- 3 large eggs, mixed with 3 tablespoons of half and half cream and whisked to blend
- Coarse salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
- 2 corn tortillas, (I used a white corn and wheat combination)
- Salsa, red or green (either store bought or homemade)
- Jack cheese
- Cherry tomatoes, fresh, cut in half
- Cilantro leaves, fresh
Remove casing/skin from the Chorizo Sausage links. This is easily done if the Chorizo sausage is partially frozen.
Heat a large sautpan to medium heat. Place chorizo sausage links in the pan and break up into pieces as it cooks. Add diced onions and saute along with the Chorizo Sausage. Cook approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the chopped Hatch chile peppers.
Add the beaten egg mixture and gently cook, mixing together with the sausage mixture. Add salt and pepper and mix well. Cook until softly scrambled. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
At this point, brown the tortillas over open flame on a gas stove or grill until they are soft and slightly tinged with brown.
Put a layer of cheese on one end of the tortilla, about 1 1/2 inches from the end. Add a layer of the scramble egg and chorizo mixture. Add a little more cheese.
Roll the tortilla and place on serving dish.
Top with salsa of your choice, more jack cheese, and a sprinkle of cherry tomatoes and cilantro leaves.
Serve with fresh fruit on the side.
* Cooking Chorizo Sausage is made from Heritage Berkshire pork, smoked Spanish paprika, sea salt and fresh garlic. It is a product of the USA.
** Learn how to prepare fresh Hatch Chile Peppers.