Want to Learn How to Prepare Brussels Sprouts for Cooking?
Tip: 1 pound of brussels sprouts = approximately 50 tiny sprouts or 17 to 20 large sprouts.
- Buy Brussels sprouts of roughly equivalent size so they cook evenly.
- Wash the sprouts under running water.
- Slice off the stem end about 1/4 way into the sprout and then remove the yellowing outer leaves.
- Check to see that the remaining sprout is completely clean and the leaves unblemished. If not wash again and remove another layer of outer leaves.
- With a sharp knife, cut an X into the stem end. This helps the interior core cook at the same rate as the outer leaves.
Brussels Sprouts Recipes:
Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta, Garlic and Basil
I adapted this recipe from the January 2001 Gourmet Magazine.
Cream-Braised Brussels Sprouts
Your family and guests will definitely love these Brussels Sprouts. So good and so easy to make.
Creamy Brussels Sprouts with Lemon
This wonderful dish will make a Brussels sprouts lover out of you! Creamy, lovely flavor with a burst of sunshine. Excellent served with Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Plum Garlic Sauce.
Grilled Brussels Sprouts
This recipe and photo are by Alton Brown and the Food Network. This technique of cooking brussels sprouts is so good – even your children will love them!
Hashed Brussels Sprouts with Poppy Seeds and Lemon
This simple recipe has converted lots of sworn Brussels-sprout haters into devoted connoisseurs. They’ve turned the sprouts into comfort food by ‘hashing’ and stir-frying them with poppy seeds. So delicious!
Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Roasting Brussels sprouts take them to a new height!
Roasted Rosemary Garlic Chicken
Since it is also fall and squash is in season, I included acorn squash and Brussels sprouts. The vegetables roasted up nicely in the juices of butter, rosemary and garlic. My son-in-law who is not a big fan of Brussels sprouts or squash, really enjoyed them roasted in all the good juices and seasonings.
Roasted Pork Loin and Vegetables
This simple dinner comes together quickly and is great for a week night. The herb/spice mix adds flavor to the roasted meat and the balsamic vinegar adds a bit of zip to the colorful vegetables.